The Honorable Timothy J. Sercombe, Judge of the Oregon Court of Appeals, has announced that he will be retiring effective July 1, 2017.
Judge Sercombe became a judge of the Oregon Court of Appeals in 2007. Before joining the Court of Appeals, he
- practiced law with the Portland firm Kirkpatrick & Lockhart Preston Gates Ellis (1991-2007), emphasizing municipal, land use, utilities, appellate, and administrative law
- practiced law with Eugene firm of Harrang, Long, Gary & Rudnick (1977-91)
- served as law clerk to Oregon Supreme Court Justices Kenneth O’Connell and Berkeley Lent (1976-77)
Judge Sercombe is a member of the Oregon State Bar, Multnomah County Bar Association, and the Oregon Appellate Judges Association. He writes and speaks frequently on municipal, land use, and constitutional law.
Judge Sercombe was born in Missouri and grew up in Connecticut. He graduated from Northwestern University in Illinois (B.A. 1973) and the University of Oregon School of Law (J.D. Honors Graduate 1976). After college, he worked as a paralegal before moving to Oregon to attend law school.
Judge Sercombe is active in his church as an elder and chancel choir member and enjoys music, theater, travel, and other family activities.
The appointment of the Hon. Meagan A. Flynn to the seat on the Oregon Supreme Court that had been vacated by the retirement of the Hon. Richard C. Baldwin reminds yr. hmbl. crspndt. that he had failed to note in these pages Justice Baldwin’s retirement. In a belated correction of that oversight:
Justice Richard C. Baldwin retired from the Oregon Supreme Court effective March 31, 2017. He joined the Court in January 2013. He formerly served as a Multnomah County Circuit Court Judge from 2001 to 2012.
During his trial court tenure, his assignments included presiding over drug treatment courts and Multnomah County’s first Mental Health Court. His prior legal experience also includes:
* Law clerk to the Honorable Robert Foley, Oregon Court of Appeals (1975)
* Staff Attorney, Multnomah County Legal Aid (1976 – 1980)
* Trial Attorney, Baldwin & Brischetto (1983 – 1991)
* Director of Litigation, Multnomah County Legal Aid (1991 – 1995)
* Executive Director, Oregon Law Center (1996 – 2000)
Judge Baldwin has worked extensively with community nonprofits and civil rights organizations, including the Fair Housing Council of Oregon, the Oregon Coalition Against Domestic Violence, and Uniting to Understand Racism during his legal career. He served on the Oregon State Bar Board of Governors (1996 – 2000; Vice President, 2000), and the Oregon Judicial Department’s Access to Justice for All Committee (1998 – 2002; Chair, 2002).
Judge Baldwin grew up in San Jose, California, and graduated from San Jose State University (B.A., Philosophy, 1970). He received his Juris Doctorate from Northwestern School of Law at Lewis and Clark College (1975).
UPDATE 2: Application period now closed.